MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

One Only! Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White. Limited edition #39/80 as shown. Brand new.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General
 1/43 scale Handbuilt Models
 Jaguar 3.8 Grace, Space & Pace

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

T O P I C    R E V I E W
glengorse Posted - 11/24/2010 : 01:12:39

I have for a long time had an affection for the Jaguar Mk11 3.8 Saloon, well I am English!.

In the late '50's & '60's it was the car of choice for many criminals in England as it could outrun anything that the Police had at that time..... it was the true gentlemans sporting machine and was raced extensively and won many saloon car races in the UK until the American muscle cars came in in
'63 & '64... in Mk1 form Mike Hawthorn ran a British Racing Green with colour coded wires as his road car and actually was killed on the A3 bypass whilst racing Rob Walker in a Mercedes Gullwing.

In the early '60's a guy called John Coombs (Jaguar dealer in Surrey) developed what was to become the 'Coombs 3.8' - this was a Mk11 3.8 developed from his race car to a road car - basically a Mk11 3.8 but with E-type + performance (300bhp) - better cooling through bonnet (hood) louvres and revised suspension and wider wheels necessitating opening the rear wheel arches. These were real 'wolf in sheep's clothing' as they would give a good E-type a run for its money.

So I set myself a target of making my own little Coombs replica - that should be I set Jean-Francois Alberca the target of making my own little Coombs replica. A Le Phoenix kit was acquired, in my view the best 1/43rd Jaguar Mk11 version.... this was sent to Eric Weber for the louvres, the open rear arches and the bucket seats. Then back to JFA for the assembly and my colour choice of British Racing Green with matching colour coded wires.... the finished article is below.

The interior is magnificent.

This is not everyones cup of tea - its certainly not a Ferrari but it shows what can be done and the interpretation in my view is magnificent.

The finishing touch is the number plate - DWH 38 - my initials and 38 for
3.8 litre.

I hope you like and enjoy something that little bit different and unique.
=

Grace, Space & Pace.

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Trossi Posted - 11/24/2010 : 12:07:27
Absolutely fantastic model and a cool project as well!
the.x.man Posted - 11/24/2010 : 01:22:59
I'd be absolutely torn if I had to choose between a MkII 3.8, XK120DHC, or a MkI E Type. However, I think the MkII would win out in the end for me, but only by a whisker. Of course, if I were in a position to be contemplating such a choice, whichever one I ended up with, it would rebuilt by Beacham :o)

Anyway, back to your model, David; I love what you have there. Perhaps the only detail I would have differently, if it was mine, would be a tan interior - otherwise, it is perfect!

glengorse Posted - 11/24/2010 : 01:21:43
My gratitude to Eric Weber for the bodywork and to Jean-Francois Alberca for helping me realise my little dream... Merci
glengorse Posted - 11/24/2010 : 01:18:53
glengorse Posted - 11/24/2010 : 01:17:05
glengorse Posted - 11/24/2010 : 01:15:32
glengorse Posted - 11/24/2010 : 01:14:08

MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000