MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

One Only! Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White. Limited edition #39/80 as shown. Brand new.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General
 Self-built Models
 The 1920 & 1925 Indy winners, 1/25th scale

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stewil Posted - 10/01/2010 : 19:59:16
Two of my builds - both are 1/25th scale Etzel kits.
I seem to live in the past so here are two of the magnificent Golden Oldies from the 1920's,

The 1920 Monroe winner. Unfortunately Gaston Chevrolet lost his life later in the season in this car.

The beautiful 4 valve/cyl 183 cu in DOHC engine based on the original Peugeot engine of 1911. Inlet side.

The exhaust side

Note the cable operated rear brake

The distinctive flower petal grill

Note that the riding mechanic's seat is set back a bit in order to provide room for the driver's flailing arms and shoulders.

The Indy line up in 1922 looked similar to the one in 1920.
The #4 Frontenac of Leon Duray was almost identical to the 1920 Monroe. It can be seen in the second row and it qualified in 4th position.

Peter DePaolo's Indy winning 122 cu. in., 113.083 MPH qualifying and he averaged 101.13 MPH in winning.
This was the first Indy racer to exceed 100 MPH.

The centrifugal supercharger one upped the jewel like Miller's engines power output for that season.

the hand painted instruments

What a nicely shaped exhaust pipe - if you like'em straight that is.
BTW - The wheel spokes started out as 30 inches of wire which was woven above and below the hub and through the drilled rim. No photoetch here.

With others from the Golden Age of American Racing in the display case. The 91 cu in #15 Miller in the back was the 1926 Indy winner driven by Frank Lockhart. Millers were the gem of the '20's and the most successful of American race cars of the era.

Cheers and Happy Collecting,
Steve
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stewil Posted - 02/27/2011 : 05:33:33
Hi Tom,
Just saw my post again and your reply.
Would love to see some of those vintage racers actually run. If I am ever planning to be near Milwaukee will try match trip dates with racing activities.

I clicked on your photo link and got this message:
The specified media does not exist
But I did enjoy looking at your other pictures.

Cheers and Happy Collecting,
Steve
F1tommy Posted - 10/08/2010 : 12:30:47
Nice models. you should get up to the Milwaukee Mile for the vintage Indy car event every summer. They sound great!!

Here is one of the cars from Milwaukee I took at Road America the week after.
http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd85/F1tommy/?action=view¤t=RoadAmerica2010032.jpg

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2011

MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000