MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Last Two! Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966 Lucien Bianchi/Mario Andretti. Brand New.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General
 1/43 scale Handbuilt Models
 Jono, A belated answer from 2010 in 2022+new PICS

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stewil Posted - 10/07/2010 : 07:19:28
Jono mentioned this model (1907 FWD Walter Christie) in another post and that provided the incentive to get me to revisit mine. I hope you enjoy the pictures but do not know how to make them smaller.

As far as I know this was the first successful FWD, shown here in all it's glory. What a monster.
I understand that one function of Christie's FWD system was to tack it on the front of horse drawn fire engines in order to preserve the expensive chassis and yet update it to self propulsion.

The model as displayed with other early significant FWD vehicles.

Am just happy to have this model but I wonder if the builder had access to the first photo's engine detail when he designed and built this model? Of course the angle of the cylinders might have changed between the time of the photo and the actual car measured for the model.

An interesting race mostly forgotten now. This one got Barney into trouble because he had not received permission to race that plane in his Christie, but he sure did rake in the dough. (if my memory is correct)

Cheers and Happy Collecting,
Steve
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stewil Posted - 11/07/2022 : 21:11:56
[quote]Originally posted by the.x.man

Oh, don't you worry, I've had the Wingnuts website bookmarked for many years now. I just don't peruse it unless my credit card is safely under lock and key...

Good to know as I was feeling guilty.

I had the privilege of getting to know Buzz just a little in the last few years before he passed. Amongst other attributes, he had a fantastic sense of humour!

My wife and I spent several wonderful days with him over the years when we were in PA and we loved his humour and his buying us lunch. I repaired 10 - 12 of his early models for someone who had acquired them when damaged in shipping. I wondered who this Buzz was who etched his name and date under each. I found out and we were friends from then on. I miss him, he loved my WNW's builds.

Some of Buzz's early builds, built to a price at the time (mid '80's).

My favorite and the most heavily damaged

Buzz excelled at small details like those fuel lines

Steve
the.x.man Posted - 11/07/2022 : 14:12:50
Oh, don't you worry, I've had the Wingnuts website bookmarked for many years now. I just don't peruse it unless my credit card is safely under lock and key...

I had the privilege of getting to know Buzz just a little in the last few years before he passed. Amongst other attributes, he had a fantastic sense of humour!

the.x.man 1:43
stewil Posted - 11/06/2022 : 18:17:22
Slippery slope indeed. Happy to report I limited my purchases, Ha!, from the get go, though I've added two which were not in the original plan. Addictive if one is a model builder, the kits are unlike any I've experienced, especially the documentation and building hints. A friend (Buzz Lockwood) knew what he was doing when he said, "Steve don't hate me but check out this website" http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/news. He knew what he was doing and I slipped. But I don't hate him for it. Rumors are that WNW may be resurrected.

Jono, Don't hate me but check out this website http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/news, and it's many interesting wandering paths.

Fokker D VII cockpit on top of the instruction manual.

Inline 6 cyl BMW engine in the D VII and closeup of the aftermarket linen camo covering.

1914 "bird", a Jeannin Stahltaube, on top of the instruction manual just before rigging the bird.

Steve
the.x.man Posted - 11/06/2022 : 15:10:46
Yes, well aware of Wingnut Wings - and that it was Peter Jackson's. From what I've heard, their models are on a whole other level compared to most others. I've not seen one myself, sadly. That's one of several dangerously slippery slopes I'm trying desperately to stay back from...

:o)

stewil Posted - 11/01/2022 : 19:50:49
quote:
Originally posted by the.x.man

Wow! Thank you so much for that, Steve! I have to say, I am insanely jealous of your Golden Submarine... It is perfect! Do you display it with additional support under its body to keep the weight off its wheels?

Soft metal indeed. One can see foam, wood, and other supports under the bodies of most of them. Like all three of the Millers for instance.

Green Dragon for you plus some others of the same era.

No floor, ground whizzing below ones feet - Yikes

Same year

Just one year later - a Rocket!

BTW - I haven't been doing much with model cars for the last several years since the stories I wanted to tell with little cars was essentially completed. (That and I ran out of display space.)
So I turned to a story in my rooms sky because of your fellow Kiwi, Peter Jackson, who created a series of 1/32nd scale WWI aircraft models that I could not resist. Wing Nut wings models are stunning so I told a story in the display rooms sky of Snoopy in his Sopwith Camel being chased by an evolutionary line of German aircraft 1914 - 1918.

Here are some examples from an Albatross:

Finally detailed MG

Real laminated wood propeller

Building the radiator with P/E bits

Radiator mounted under the wing controlled by rod and lever's wooden handle

Flying

The display. This particular aircraft is in the lower middle id'd by the black moon on the unpainted wooden fuselage.

Jono were you aware of Peter Jackson's fascination with aircraft and Wing Nut Wings?

the.x.man Posted - 10/29/2022 : 16:26:52
Wow! Thank you so much for that, Steve! I have to say, I am insanely jealous of your Golden Submarine... It is perfect! Do you display it with additional support under its body to keep the weight off its wheels?

A number of years ago I managed to obtain a Grey Wolf, but sadly, by the time it arrived, all of its wheels had collapsed - just like the Golden Submarines' are prone to do. I later sold it for a fraction of what it cost me. My Green Dragon was also sold many years ago. Its chassis rails were slowly sagging, even though it was not heavy. The Dust & Glory models must have used extremely soft white metal. Both were sold to collectors who assured me they could and would restore them, which I very much hope they did!

I still have my Walter Christie.

stewil Posted - 10/28/2022 : 10:44:31
It has been many years since I meant to respond to Jono's post so here are some requested pics, plus.

quote:
Originally posted by the.x.man on 10/08/2010

Do you have a Golden Submarine? If you have, do you have any pictures? That is one model in particular that I desperately want! I also want a Packard Grey Wolf.

I very much like the Vanderbilt Cup theme that Phil followed with a lot of his D&G range - it would make for a fascinating lineup in my collection. I have a Peerless Green Dragon, but that is all (another Barney Oldfield special).

The Golden Submarine

Packard Grey Wolf

Three Millers in a row - plus

Steve
the.x.man Posted - 10/08/2010 : 16:30:48
Do you have a Golden Submarine? If you have, do you have any pictures? That is one model in particular that I desperately want! I also want a Packard Grey Wolf.

I very much like the Vanderbilt Cup theme that Phil followed with a lot of his D&G range - it would make for a fascinating lineup in my collection. I have a Peerless Green Dragon, but that is all (another Barney Oldfield special).

stewil Posted - 10/08/2010 : 07:26:07
Barney Oldfield's exploits certainly make for an interesting study, don't they?

You bet Jono.

BTW - My Christie also came from Phil and I also have all his Dust and Glory models and many other oldies too. All start to tell the automotive story with an emphasis of how race cars through time influenced passenger car design including the ones we drive today.

Steve
the.x.man Posted - 10/08/2010 : 02:02:21
Wow - this is fantastic! Thanks Steve. I had a copy of that top picture on my computer a few years ago, but it was lost when my hard drive failed and I had not been able to locate it anywhere again since.
I also fondly imagined I was probably the only in here with one of these models, so I am rapt to find someone else with one, too. I must get someone to dig mine out for me so I can see what number it is (it is stored in my cupboard above wheelchair height at the moment...).

Barney Oldfield's exploits certainly make for an interesting study, don't they? :o)

MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000