MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Last Two! Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966 Lucien Bianchi/Mario Andretti. Brand New.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 Self-built Models
 WIP Porsche 550 1953 Panamericana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  12:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Started this a few weeks ago with hopes of finishing for the Ferrari expo in Chicago next month. Porsche 550-03 as raced in the 1953 Carrera.

Using a BBR body I hollowed the inside, removed the dash & tonneau and scribed the panel seams deep to remove the panels. You can see light thru the door seam in this pic

Once the doors were removed I made a dash shaped from bondo and a brass dash face.

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  13:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mounted the dash and started working on the cockpit bulkhead and door jambs.

I realized that I needed to make the wheelwells befor adding that interior bulkhead and befor the wheelwells I needed to do the hood hinges.

Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  13:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then I went back to the doors. Between the shape of the car and the way the doors sweep upwards when open it makes these hinges tricky. The first set I redid 3 times until getting it right.

Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  13:12:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And last night I made the engine lid. This hinge I only had to re-do once:) The first pic thats as far as the lid would open and the second I moved the hinge back a hair.

Go to Top of Page

dark star

Spain
413 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  14:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Superb, Joe !!
Please show us your splendid work, to the end.
Cheers. -:)))

jerry
Go to Top of Page

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  16:00:31  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your workmanship is spectacular, Joe, and I just love your hinge work - they are always second to none!

ferrariboy

Belgium
111 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  01:50:45  Show Profile  Visit ferrariboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
very nice done , hope one day i can do a little bit what you guys are doing

Ferrari is the best
Go to Top of Page

F1tommy

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  09:14:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks very nice. Can't wait to see it in person at the Ferrari Expo.
The new 1/43rd 356 Pan Am decals are printing at Cartograf. It costs a small fortune to print decals at Cartograf now.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2012-Chicago March 17th 2012
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  14:57:55  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The engineering of the hinges is superb. It also makes a lot of sense when working with a resin body...inserts and all. Reminds me of the hinges I have seen by Buzz Lockwood, not the same...similar. You are achieving some nice shapes with the brass...do you anneal it first?

Edited by - PeterW on 02/15/2012 15:00:19
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  15:00:52  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by F1tommy

Looks very nice. Can't wait to see it in person at the Ferrari Expo.
The new 1/43rd 356 Pan Am decals are printing at Cartograf. It costs a small fortune to print decals at Cartograf now.

Dumb question...why a Porsche at a Ferrari Expo? Is it a general model show/contest? Like the Strictly 43 show of the past? Tell us more Tom, I need a reason to go to Chicago ;)
Go to Top of Page

F1tommy

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  17:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Peter,

The show is being run by the Ferrari Club of America, but other marques show up every year. The Ferrari dealers owner also loves 356's, OSCA's and other old sportscars, so he always has some cool cars on display along with all the Ferrari's and Maserati's. We also allow all sportscars/racecars brands in the model contest as long as they are handbuilt by the person entering. Many of the old Strictly 43rd guys show up every year for this show now.
I see Don Anderson and many others every year. It's not as big as the old Chicago show but it does I think bring in even more top quality builders for the model contest/display. Joe is a case in point, along with the builders from Mexico, US west coast and all of North America

Edited by - F1tommy on 02/15/2012 17:17:16
Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  05:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tommy & Peter, go hijack another thread:) Kidding aside the Ferrari Expo is a cool show at a great spot. Some great modelers there to meet and some great cars displayed in the dealership garage. I'd be thrilled to see some more 1/43rd. This show needs a good dealer of high end models(cough,Miniwerks,cough) Here's a link to some pics I took from last year:

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x37/914joe/Ferrari%20Expo/

Jerry, I'll keep you posted on the progress as long as you don't give me a hard time for taking too long. I can't hang with your pace:)

X-Man, Thanks for the comment!!! I visit your site a few times a month to use your link page. I stoped by last week and the site was down... I almost went into a panic:)

Ferrariboy, The only way your going to do it is to do it. Get a diecast to practice painting... You don't need a airbrush to do a great job. Get a soldering iron and different size brass and start playing around. It's fun and will give you some ideas on how heat will flow thru different metals. I make alot of stick figures & bike frames with my little guy.

Peter, Yes I heat that metal first. Was out of gas in the garage so I use the kitchen stove:)

Tommy, If they are ready I'm going to want a short stack @12 of those decals.

A pic of my little guy at the bench. It's pine wood derby time!!!

Edited by - 914joe on 02/16/2012 05:53:01
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  15:51:17  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And I thought my bench was a mess !!! LOL!
Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  19:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^^^^hahaha... The resin dust is getting deep:)

Got a little done the last few days. I've been working on the rear lid & doors getting their shapes closer and making inner structures. I'm happy with how these parts are working together so far.

Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  05:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a little more body work and I started laying out the frame. So far I've only attached 2 crossmembers and still need to finish with the details around the engine and rear suspension.

Go to Top of Page

F1tommy

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  05:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This model looks so good, I wish I had time to do another 550 for the show(the gold 1954 car). You make me feel like a slacker at building judging by the speed at wich you are able to do this, and you also do it so perfectly. Those side vents gave me lots of trouble and you flew right threw them(yours look alot better too!!). Amazing stuff.

Edited by - F1tommy on 02/23/2012 05:35:09
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000