MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Last Two! Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966 Lucien Bianchi/Mario Andretti. Brand New.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 1/43 scale Handbuilt Models
 The times they are a' changin'
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

george E.

Malawi
57 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  10:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Computer models, Chinese handbuilts, BIG retirements (unannounced as of yet) of THE industry innovators and leaders (2 of about 5-6 people). "Vanity" manufacturers. Licensing polices that are not at the moment commiserate with the reality of the market presently. and other factors...

I do not think the industry will be the same one that ends the year that began it. It really is the end of an era, and the beginning of a new one. John Henry vs. The Steam Drill. We all know what happened to John Henry. Where will it lead?

Edited by - george E. on 05/03/2010 11:36:33

GTO

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  03:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK George, you got our attention now! Maybe another clue and I'll play along?
Go to Top of Page

Models123

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  13:44:28  Show Profile  Visit Models123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Me too George; like GTO said: "you got our attention now! Maybe another clue and I'll play along?"

Marshall
Go to Top of Page

ioannis

Greece
494 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  13:49:25  Show Profile  Visit ioannis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Marshall, I would like to ask you if you made the kits of the Siatas.

John
Go to Top of Page

george E.

Malawi
57 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  14:38:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys probably heard already before me. You guys are big Kahunas in the industry. D'oh! How's the AMR book coming along? Marshall was excited to see your announcement about the Scarab! Now thats some good news.

clue and personal commentary:
Guarda como dondolo. Guarda como retardo. ;-))

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E6xJuemOt9c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E6xJuemOt9c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Edited by - george E. on 05/04/2010 15:08:48
Go to Top of Page

george E.

Malawi
57 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  15:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They will do their announcement, or whatever they are going to do. I was just making the comment from my heart about it.

Edited by - george E. on 05/04/2010 17:50:28
Go to Top of Page

luminere1

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  20:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't get it..
Go to Top of Page

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  21:43:38  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think part of what George is hinting at (particularly the John Henry vs the steam drill reference), is that some of the older innovators in our hobby are losing out to new technology - and even 'dying' in the process, so to speak...

Models123

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  07:27:15  Show Profile  Visit Models123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John,

No, I did not produce any kits. I am considering producing a short run of the prototype 208S Spider (great looking car) which was quite different than the production Spiders. Also maybe another race version too. No kits planned.

Marshall
Go to Top of Page

george E.

Malawi
57 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  07:50:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, thank you Xman. The times are changing and I was just talking about some, though not all, of the factors changing them.
Some of the innovators aren't as old as we think. Younger than most on this board for example. They just seem old because they started in their teens and have been around as long as anyone can remember. You can tell they are innovators because the hobby was one way when they came in and directly because of their invovlement and contribution, it was another way when they left it- at least for a large segment of our industry. Many followed where they lead- and a good road it is. And it takes machines and computer software and the work of 4 people to do what some of these innovators did all by themselves by hand. I imagine that for some who made their living in the industry and gave it all they had, and went through the intensity and dedication it takes to learn skills that few can do- it can feel like a heartbreak to finally have to lay their hammer down. But I hope that it will be the beginning of something new and wonderful for them instead.

John Henry did beat that steam drill,though. yessir he did.
Let that be said.

I like that steam drill and all, but I was rooting for John Henry. And I still do.

Edited by - george E. on 05/05/2010 10:38:35
Go to Top of Page

george E.

Malawi
57 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  11:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last one I promise.
Thank you for the indulgence.
Tomorrow will be a bright new day!!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kPaRQ1BYjzU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kPaRQ1BYjzU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Edited by - george E. on 05/05/2010 11:26:01
Go to Top of Page

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  17:04:06  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by george E.

John Henry did beat that steam drill,though. yessir he did.
Let that be said.

I like that steam drill and all, but I was rooting for John Henry. And I still do.

Indeed. But it cost him his life - and I feel the similarities here are all too accurate; for example, any one of Mike Craig's Piranha models will beat a computer assisted Chinese assembled BBR any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Yet look at which of those two brands are still in action... (I am not referring to Mike personally here, just his Piranha brand)

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  17:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jono, well said, I can only say "ignorance is bliss". Mike Craig must be the most under-appreciated artist in our little hobby. Those who do not appreciate his work, do not understand his work or are simply ignorant of his work. This is why I am slowly but surely shifting my business.
Go to Top of Page

george E.

Malawi
57 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  19:20:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you again Ferrarinut and Xman. You run a class act.
Mike Craig on his website said there was a new freedom that he had found. I think those were very comforting and inspiring words to some others in our industry who are experiencing something similar. I am glad he took the time to write them. They mattered a great deal.

Edited by - george E. on 05/05/2010 19:51:37
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  20:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike Craig is the classic "class act". He lacks the ego that drives so many in this hobby. He does what he does because he has a passion. Mike is the last person on earth who needs the accolades and the compliments. He has given so much and expected nothing other than sales of course. A guy has to feed his family afterall. I know in years to come, Mike's work will be appreciated far more than it has been to date and whether or not that means anything to Mike, it will mean a great deal to me. I have a great deal of respect for Mike and his skills. I will enjoy the ever-increasing respect of a good friend and a great talent who still has a lot to contribute.
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  07:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, on reflection that ego statement was inaccurate. I do not personally deal with any "ego maniacs". All of the builders I work with are driven by passion.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000