MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

One Only! Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White. Limited edition #39/80 as shown. Brand new.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 Personal Collections
 Opened Models
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KoenigLover

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  15:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there. I am loving my KS Competition model. Only problem is, being of resin with microscopic parts, details, and scotch-tape thin windows, I'm afraid to touch this beauty! I let it out of it's plastic box to breath for a few minutes and was too nervous, so I screwed it back on it's base and taped the box back on it for safe keeping.
What's the best way to display these figures out in the open? Their much more beautiful to look at when out of the case and off the base.
I also just purchased the newest model from Mark Up, a car I've been wanting since I was a kid in the 80's! The Cannonball Run Lamborghini Countach. I have the feeling it's just as if not more delicate than my KS!

Any suggestions? I was going to get a couple of display cases for my Transformers collection, but now I think I need different kind of display cases for my 1/43 models.

The die-cast models I currently have are not as delicate as these resin ones, but not as well detailed, and there aren't any "durable" die-cast models of my favorite cars!

How do you guy's keep from damaging your finely detailed resin model cars? Do you keep them locked in plastic prisons, or do you let them out to breath? Also, how do you dust'em off?

With my TF's, I just used our air-compressor to spray the dust off. No way on Earth am I going to do that with these fragile cars.

Suggestions? Comments? There are many more cars I wish to collect. But how do I take care of them all and keep them minty perfect?

What display cases do you recommend? I don't necessarily want those that are specifically designed for 1/43 scale cars as their just tiny little one-profile shelves. I also wish to collect a bunch of 1/48 scale helicopters and airplanes and it would be neat to display the cars and planes together.

Edited by - KoenigLover on 11/18/2010 15:07:52

moriaan

Netherlands
510 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  09:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep them in the clear-boxes in a dustproof cabinet.
After 20 years they are still like new!

I hardly ever touch the models.. way to fragile to handle.

Hans
Go to Top of Page

KoenigLover

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  17:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you post pictures? Do you keep them in their original box, or do you have a specific display case?

Go to Top of Page

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  18:38:39  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think most of us would not normally leave our models anywhere without their dust covers on. Personally, I find this rather frustrating, as I have a number of models I badly want out on display (like Heco Miniatures and Marsh Models), but I cannot because they do not have dust proof cases. Instead, they stay safely sealed up in their boxes and stored up high in my cupboard - which is all very well, but in a sense, I may as well not have them...

I have a 100% dust/tamper proof display cabinet designed that will be able to take care of quite a few of them, but I am having difficulty finding a cabinet maker who will take me seriously and build it without complaining that it is too difficult to do :o(

The other problem when your models are not secure in their display cases, other than dust, is physical damage - things like decals that have not been clear-coated, tiny details like photoetched door handles, etc, are at risk from your fingertips when you unscrew a model from its base.

If I see a speck of dust on one of my models, I use an extremely soft artist's paintbrush to very gently stroke it clear.

Is there anyone near you that custom builds display cases? You know, wooden base/lift off glass top type of thing. If so, see about getting a decent length one built that will take half a dozen or so 1/43 scale cars, perhaps all in a line (preferably still on their individual bases). It can either sit on a shelf or be mounted on the wall with a couple of decent brackets.

KoenigLover

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  18:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there. Personally, I enjoy having my models out in the open, but only the normal die-cast ones that are tough-enough to handle it.
My resin models will stay in their designated cases as they are much more fragile.
I don't know of anybody that can make such a case. But, I also think it would cost more than I can afford at this time.

We have a neat little shop called High-Tower Collectibles in the Springs area and I've talked to him about display cases. He suggested going to local furniture stores. So, I'll venture there some time.

I agree the cases the cars come in is the best method, but I'd like to be able to see more of them and have them more displayable. If that makes sense.

Plastic prisons suck. However a plastic or glass-condo is kind of cool! :)
Go to Top of Page

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  19:05:09  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KoenigLover

I agree the cases the cars come in is the best method, but I'd like to be able to see more of them and have them more displayable. If that makes sense.

It does make sense :o)

Trossi

232 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  05:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont remember who it was and if it was posted in the old forum or in this one, but there was a collector who had many Suber models without the plastic cover in a very nicely made display cabinet.

I would also display my models without the cover if I were able to prevent them from getting dust all over them.
Go to Top of Page

KoenigLover

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  07:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whats worse than dust? Pollen! UGGGH!
Once a year in Colorado we get yellow pollen dust EVERYWHERE!
Only way to prevent it is keep the windows closed at all times, but when its warm-to-hot outside mid summer, like 75-90, we like to have the windows open for circulation.

Do you guy's deal with pollen as well?

Go to Top of Page

ferrari4evr1

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  11:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Jono and Hans. I like to leave them in the dust covers. I keep mine in a curio cabinet which adds an extra layer of protection. I like to protect them as much as possible. I do not like to handle them either. If i do happen to handle them (fingerprints etc.), i take a cotton swab or q-tip to clean off any residue left behind.
There was another collector on this forum that had all his models displayed openly, in his garage? There was a car parked in there so, I assume it was his garage? Nonetheless, his display was open and models were taken off of their original dust proof bases...

James
Go to Top of Page

KoenigLover

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  15:45:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just received my totally awesome Cannonball Run Countach from Mark Up. This is simply a gorgeous and stunning replica of one of my all time favorite movie cars. This one will NOT be removed from it's case. Thinking of making a little 55 MPH speed limit sign for it though. 55 crossed out of coarse! :D
Go to Top of Page

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  16:05:02  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is exactly what I am hoping to do with mine!

Those aerials on the model are four very good reasons to leave the cover on...

KoenigLover

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  18:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I immediately tapped the lid shut with invisible scotch tape. Works great and keeps the lid on.
Yea, those CB antennas look extremely fragile. To the point where if I breath on it they'll brake.
Still waiting in the mail is a Vitesse 1/43 scale die-cast model of the hovering-Delorean from Back To The Future part II, a 1/43 die-cast of the James Bond amphibious Lotus, and a 1/43 scale model of a green Lamborghini Gallardo with the Stig standing next to it!
The three mentioned are probably no match for the quality of Mark-Ups, but they look pretty cool and will be nice to have for my Hollywood collection.
Next on the list is the white Testarossa from Miami Vice.

Edited by - KoenigLover on 11/20/2010 18:30:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000