MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

One Only! Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White. Limited edition #39/80 as shown. Brand new.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 Personal Collections
 Display cabinets for your models
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

phil30

Singapore
33 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  21:54:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Collectors,

It will be nice if you can post pictures of your display cabinets here. What size, height, depth, width will be most ideal for 1/43 scale models.

Cheers
Phil

phil30

Singapore
33 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  17:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am building a customised display cabinet for my 43rd scale models, any recommendation.

Please share by showing your cabinets,
Go to Top of Page

ModelJunkie

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  18:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just moved into a new house and have not seen most of my collection for almost 4 months. I ordered a custom display case and it will finally be delivered on Monday. I will post photos of the case before and after it is placed and loaded up with my models.
Go to Top of Page

stewil

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  12:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What size, height, depth, width will be most ideal for 1/43 scale models?
IMHO almost any size might be ideal, it all depends on your space and what you are trying to display and what story you are trying to tell.
Here are some examples.

This is a built in book case and display cabinet combo built into a 1/2 room wall room divider. 1/43eds are displayed in the two lighted 10"deep side cabinets,
the center see through display contains 1/18th models and is open into the other display room.

Close up of one of the Everyday American Iron cabinets.

A free standing display cabinet front-and-center with 1/43ed scale Indy cars on the top shelf, mixed scales below, all telling the story of circle track racing in the USA. Cabinets on the right are wall length, six foot high, and 18 inches deep which contain 1/24th scale groupings and dioramas.

Some of the mid century 1/43ed scale Indy racers displayed on the top shelf.

Another built in wall length display case, 16 feet by 6' high by 16 inches deep. Plastic sheeting for dust protection, each shelf lights the one below. Two shelves are dedicated to 1/43ed scale, one containing an American town diorama, the other dedicated to various themes such as GP/F1, LeMans, SCCA racing, a 1930's French Concours de Elegace, and a Route 66 diorama.

Closeup of two shelves in one of the five sections, my my RR Restoration shop on top right and the LeMans display below.

Can-Am examples

I also display in the antique bookcases as seen.

a close up of one display in the book case.

One more of the cases that came from "going out of business" stores in our little town which display 1/43eds. The rectangular case in the foreground contains a display of 1/43ed scale LSR's and another of Supercar examples.

Doors opened.

I have been fortunate to have a fair amount of space and was able to fit in a cast off dining room hutch to display models.

The champions shelf is bottom left. Was also able to squeeze in another shelf below the Indy cars.

I find 1/24th and 1/18th wall displays very useful for displaying 1/43eds too.

Here is an example of a 1/24th scale cabinet that I use.

Closeup.

One more

Another 1/24th case containing fast cars of both street & track

and a compartment within it

And here is a 1/18th scale case full of 1/43eds plus some 1/24ths too.

I hope these pictures were the type of thing you were looking for and that they were helpful to you.

Cheers and Happy Collecting,
Steve

Edited by - stewil on 02/26/2012 15:30:40
Go to Top of Page

christian

Austria
443 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  13:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW this is not a display , this is a museum

congrats Steve
Go to Top of Page

christian

Austria
443 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  13:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a part off mine

Go to Top of Page

stewil

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  15:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christian,
Love all those older Ferrari's. That is quite a collection of hand builts and a nice display case in which to display them.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  16:01:15  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow - I could spend many happy hours admiring your collection, Steve! I love the eclectic nature of it, as well as the thoughtful arrangement of the various factions.

I will be finally having my display cabinet built this year. It will be a solidly mounted wall unit with a series of custom built glass cases, whose bases slide out on drawer runners allowing the glass tops to be lifted off in the normal fashion. I will most certainly be posting pictures here.

phil30

Singapore
33 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  21:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, thanks for the photos, what a wonderful collection!
Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  05:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a awesome collection Steve!!! Thanks for sharing
Go to Top of Page

ModelJunkie

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  13:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, my display case finally arrived! It came carefully packed in this crate on a mini pallet. In this photo I have already removed some of the wood framing.

Go to Top of Page

ModelJunkie

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  13:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here it is all unpacked and carefully moved into position. It was a much bigger job than I anticipated as it is very heavy and awkward.
Go to Top of Page

ModelJunkie

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  13:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here it is finally loaded up with my models! I still have to bolt the case to the wall this weekend as otherwise it will fall over in a Southern California earthquake. I will rearrange the display until I am satisfied, then I will post photos of the treasures inside.
Go to Top of Page

stewil

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  18:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ModelJunkie,
Exciting!!! That is a beautifully crafted cabinet mounted in a beautiful place.
Am looking forward to seeing more of it's contents as you have time to arrange your displays. Thanks for posting.
and
Where did you get the cabinet?
Cheers and Happy Collecting and Displaying,
Steve

PS Noticed your lights which I think are rather hot. Have been told that a 10+ degree temp change in a short time damages models as does leaving lights on too long. Therefore I mounted some track lights to hopefully minimize the effect of the quick temp change in my cabinets and I don't keep them on very long. I also don't mount my more valuable models very close to the in-cabinet lights. This may be overkill but have noticed little paint fading over time among other things.
Maybe some one with more knowledge can speak to this effect.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Angus

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  19:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice !
Go to Top of Page

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  22:31:22  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If those lights are LED (and they look like they might be?), then the models will be fine, both for heat and ultraviolet. However, if they are halogen, then not so good...

Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000