MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Last Two! Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966 Lucien Bianchi/Mario Andretti. Brand New.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 Personal Collections
 Audi 1:43 collection from Poland
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smerfik24

Poland
58 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2017 :  14:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After so long time, I've decided to come back to the Forum and start my thread again. I did not cease collecting, just had so many other things to do and in fact no will to do it, that I left Scale143 without any updates.
This time, I'd make it in a special way tough - I will start with the building process of my vitrine instead of showing you my modelcars. This will happen too, but step by step :)

So. First of all, I need some space to fit my vitrines. Fortunately, I already have one cozy room which will become my home office and will simply contain 5 vitrines and desk. Isn't it a dream? :lol:
2 vitrines would stand along the walls, one will hang on the wall and 2 will be some free-standing stuff.

Secondly, the important part is the project. Thanks to my best Friend Slawek, I have an amazing project for a vitrine which will be very light, spacious, dust-free and just .... outstanding ! This project would be realized in 2 standing vitrines and the one hanging on the wall.

How much modelcars would it fit? Well, I think it would be around 1000 - 1200 1:43 Audis depending on the space between modelcars. This would be rather enough for me. Exceeding this space would result in storing modelcars in the boxes and that is rather senseless to me.

OK. So here we go with the building process. All wires are already mounted on the wall, so next comes the carpenter with cabinet floor and ceiling. After that, the glass parts would be fitted in. Everything was going to be smooth and easy, but.... the longest parts have more than 5 meters :shock: So it was not so easy to fit them in the house. Fortunately, we had some nicely located windows ! :lol:

and we managed to get in.

I will keep you updated with the results if you'd find it interesting ;)

pozdrawiam ( 'best regards' in Polish! )
Piotr

Edited by - smerfik24 on 05/30/2017 14:53:01

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2017 :  15:50:37  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brilliant stuff, Piotr! I am extremely interested to see how all this works out.

When you say 1000-1200 models, are you thinking of them still mounted on their display bases? My built-in display cabinet is also the equivalent of 5 meters long (2 tiers at 2.5m each), but my design is not very tall and I can only fit a maximum of 90 models mounted on BBR-size bases... So I am very jealous of yours! :o)

the.x.man 1:43
Go to Top of Page

smerfik24

Poland
58 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  11:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you! The calculation was done with the maximum capacity possible.
However, it will be 35 cm deep, 210 cm high and 500 cm wide. It will have a maximum number of 10 - 11 shelves. So if the BBR base has around 15 cm, it would fit two in the same row, 60 side by side, makes around 120 modelcars per shelf. Times 10 - 11 shelves makes it 1200. But, would also have another one, 210 x 210 x 35 + hanging one 230 x 40 x 30 + free-standing 40 x 40 with 11 shelves and one suprise for around 80 modelcars.
All counting WITH their bases, of course. Last vitrine I had was aimed to display them without boxes, but it was not a good idea at all.

Piotr
Go to Top of Page

Dave G

Netherlands
58 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  11:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice project!! I like to see how people display their collection. I have actually nothing to show, but it is always nice to see other people's ideas, especially when it is custom work like this!
Do you already have such a large amount of models or did you plan ahead?? Storing the models is one thing, storing all the boxes is something else I noticed :)
Good luck on the project, keep this thread up to date!!
Go to Top of Page

smerfik24

Poland
58 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  12:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The number now is around 800 pieces.
And yes, the biggest problem now is where to store paper boxes ;) I already have a place for that, but it was supposed to be normal storage place, while it would become only for modelcar boxes and my Fiancee doesn't agree for that. She accepted a lot, so I have to do the compromise ;)

Piotr
Go to Top of Page

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  22:56:26  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, my display cabinet has storage cupboards underneath for the boxes.

I have 10 dust-proof individual display cases built into my cabinet (250mm x 250mm x 500mm each - exactly the right size for 9 BBR/MR bases), in mirror-backed glass. They are basically oversize "BBR" style display cases :o)

Each one slides in and out on push-to-latch drawer runners. This is also useful as other people cannot figure out how to open them which keeps the models safe from touching! The cabinet has 12 volt cool white LED ribbon running the full length above the glass.

Sorry for the poor picture, it was taken at night:

I could not make my display any taller because I am in a wheelchair and would not be able to see :o)

the.x.man 1:43
Go to Top of Page

smerfik24

Poland
58 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2017 :  01:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This idea is really stunning, makes an impression of a museum display or some sort of stuff like this, maybe a jewellry store, nicely done! You're right, height is also a problem even if disability would not be a barrier - looking at modelcars on 1.9 m is not a perfect solution, but due to the number, I needed to still make another compromise. We'll see. I have a few 1:18 and 1:12, maybe they'll go up so as to be more visible.

Congratulations on your display, especially for what you have inside ! :)

Piotr
Go to Top of Page

ModelJunkie

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2017 :  07:42:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had the privilege of visiting Jono and seeing his collection in person. His display and their contents are truly museum quality. Jono's cabinets also move out individually so that they may be seen more easily. The lighting is fantastic, making each individual cell look like a 1/43 art gallery. Good luck to you Piotr, we look forward to seeing the results of your hard work.
Go to Top of Page

smerfik24

Poland
58 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2017 :  02:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you! It's nice to read that someone is interested :)

Ok, so here we go with the next step - all wooden works are done - the longest cabinet has side walls, all edges are now corrected, paint chips corrected and the floor mounted to the floor. Also the second standing vitrine is prepared for some glass work, as well as the hanging one - the only problem was to mount the hanging vitrine perfectly horizontally as the window is not precisely horizontal. Nevertheless, it's not a huge difference between left and right side.
The hanging witrine will not be as deep as standing ones as it would look ugly. So it's 6 cm less.

This upper part is a shelf prepared for catalogues and magazines - I also collect Audi materials so decided to make a shelf solid enough to carry all those paper stuff, it is supposedly able to carry ca. 150 kgs.

Piotr
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000