MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

One Only! Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White. Limited edition #39/80 as shown. Brand new.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 1/43 scale Handbuilt Models
 New Project: AMR Ferrari 330 GTO 4 Litre
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  09:26:22  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am excited to start this new project. I will do both the Le Mans version [although it did not finish] and the Nurburgring version of Mike Parks that took first in it's class and second overall, the best performance for the car. One of each version is available as a curbside. Contact Mike for details. I am basing the series on the AMR Rep002 Nostalgia kit [still my favorite]and have pin-pointed some changes that will be made to the body to be as accurate as possible.

Here is some history and nice photos to absorb. The Cavallino article clarifies the fact that 3765 did indeed compete at the Nurburgring.

http://www.cavallino.com/3765article.html

http://www.cliffreuter.com/ferrari%20gto.htm

http://mydadsphotos.shendy.co.uk/motorsport/european-motorsport/nurburgring-1962/bw_c011_28/

Edited by - PeterW on 04/19/2012 08:35:44

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  07:59:41  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now that the kits are all accounted for I have done a simple mark up of the initial [basic] changes that will need to be made. I have to be careful here because there are other things that will be added and or modified. In order to avoid mistakes or oversights it is best to establish a "punch list" for each version. Always check and double check historic references and be sure of their origin.

The Hood bulge is not correct, there should be only two side vents [these will also be thinned out], the rear spoiler is too shallow and should have parting lines. The rear wheel well "lip" is too pronounced and should be very subtle [if at all]. The front wheel arch [forward portion] is slightly off, only a minor modification will be made here.
The "D" shaped vents on the nose will get covers for the Nurburgring Version. The rear vents have partial covers and from what I can determine rear flaps were attached on both the Le Mans car and Nurburgring car. On the Le Mans car there are two additional vents below the windshield that will need to be cut out.

Edited by - PeterW on 04/19/2012 08:37:57
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  07:08:16  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A friend sent this along via email last night so now the controversy continues! Who is right, the Cavallino article or this ?

http://www.barchetta.cc/english/all.ferraris/detail/3673gt.250gto.htm

And if this is correct it explains the slight differences in the hood bulge, etc. that I noticed in the historic photos.

Edited by - PeterW on 04/20/2012 07:39:12
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2012 :  08:33:21  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After further study and research I am still not certain it was the same car. The hood bulge and light configuration are definitely different so if I build the Nurburgring car these changes will be made. The most important question at this point is the chassis number which as far as I can tell is still not certain. There is support for both.

Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2012 :  16:20:04  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And after I posted the question on FChat this came back:

"3673SA is a street 4 lit SA with a SWB body it was never a GTO. Had a rep GTO body installed once. Car is back at Ferrari being put back together with a SWB body as original. Never raced

3765LM is the car that ran at LeMans and the Nurbergring. Nose was change for the race. This is verified by the Ferrari factory. It is not a mistery anymore"

Sounds like he knows what he is talking about.

Edited by - PeterW on 04/21/2012 16:58:42
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  14:19:55  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It has been a while since I have worked on the 4 Liter project and I am now concentrating on the Le Mans Car #7 version with engine detail.
Two of these versions are being made with one available for purchase. Contact Mike or PM me to reserve .

Visit this link to see some nice photos of the restored car:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/1640/Ferrari-330-GTO.html

Here I decided to add a working D flap for the radiator:

And the rear light housings made from brass:

Filling the one side vent and refining the rear fenders:

That last few details before paint will include the two additional vents to each side of the bonnet and fabricating the hinge for the bonnet. Next post will show the painted bodies.

Edited by - PeterW on 07/05/2012 14:23:22
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  18:57:14  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Final mods are complete and the base coat of paint and decals applied. Once the decals are fully dry the D flap portion of the nose decal will be carefully removed and transferred to the pe part. The flap will be operable along with the hood [bonnet]. Of course the model will boast a detailed engine bay.

Whenever the casting allows I prefer to polish the window frames as I did in this case.

Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  21:55:32  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My new plaques are finished. Nickel Silver and Black. These will now take the place of the PLM-Studio plaques on my 6x6 presentation bases.
[photo from the manufacturer].

Go to Top of Page

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  23:30:21  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Classy!!!

Blanchimont

Belgium
85 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2012 :  08:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic Peter.
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  10:23:12  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Clearcoat applied and it's just perfect! On to assembly of the first model.

Go to Top of Page

Blanchimont

Belgium
85 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  13:56:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great clear coat finish as usual.
Well done Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Ferrari2006

Germany
352 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  20:49:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello Peter, do you polish the window frames?? or they are painted in silver?

Regards, from Stuttgart
Fred
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  21:29:14  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ferrari2006

Hello Peter, do you polish the window frames?? or they are painted in silver?

Regards, from Stuttgart
Fred

In this case I polished the frames. I do both techniques depending on the condition of the castings...some are too rough to work with so they must be painted.
Go to Top of Page

Blanchimont

Belgium
85 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2012 :  19:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Peter, how is this project going?
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2012 :  06:59:16  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Updates and photos coming soon ;)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000