MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

One Only! Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White. Limited edition #39/80 as shown. Brand new.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 1/43 scale Handbuilt Models
 Ferrari 250TR winner Sebring 1958
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2012 :  14:18:32  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am going to build a limited run of the newly released Minerva43 Ferrari 250TR winner Sebring 1958. I will be building 2 curbside, 2 with engine detail and 2 with a Phil Hill figure by Racing Dioramics.

These will be available exclusively from Miniwerks so contact Mike for details.

I will show the build process and review the kit here so stay tuned!

Here is a brief race history:

http://www.sportscardigest.com/1958-12-hours-sebring-anglo-americans-redhead/2/

Edited by - PeterW on 05/14/2012 15:34:02

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2012 :  06:33:10  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have seen the factory built model from Minerva43 and it is quite impressive. One immediate observation is the color of the wheels. Aluminum in the rear and a pale green in the front. This prompted me to do more research and it does appear that this was the case...but it also appears to me that the rear wheels were tinted blue. This is certainly the case on the #16 team car [the one that attempted to "mate" with the Cunningham earlier in the race].

Your input is welcome!

Edited by - PeterW on 04/26/2012 07:22:37
Go to Top of Page

glengorse

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2012 :  10:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well Peter you certainly set some challenges.... the 335S (Hawthorn) of 1957 had different coloured wheels but cannot find any definitive photos to support the same on this car... one of those where you could be right, you could be wrong... looked through a number of my reference books and cannot see coloured wheels but as we know that does not mean they did not exist. I hope someone else can help.
David
Go to Top of Page

glengorse

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2012 :  10:15:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Assume you are thinking similar to the '57 335S of Hawthorn.... like my Suber below:

Go to Top of Page

glengorse

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2012 :  10:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Not unreasonable to assume they did it again in 1958?
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2012 :  11:31:53  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by glengorse

Not unreasonable to assume they did it again in 1958?

My thinking EXACTLY...and I do have a photo of the car and will try to post it. The photo I did post above shows the color wheels clearly. Musso drove the #16 car. It finished second 1 lap behind the winning car. The #15 car driven by Hawthorn also had colored wheels. Have a look at this source. When you scroll over the pictures some will "slide show" multiple photos [let the page fully load first]. I especially like the photo of #16 with Miss Sebring ;)))

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/Sebring-1958-03-22.html

Here is a photo of the winning car...those rear wheels sure look blue to me ;)

Edited by - PeterW on 04/26/2012 12:04:15
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2012 :  12:08:56  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will also try to source the "Englebert" tire markings...I don't see them on the decal sheet in Fred's photo of the kit. They are a nice detail to have.

Thanks to a forum member we now have the tire markings :)

Edited by - PeterW on 04/27/2012 08:42:41
Go to Top of Page

Patbad

Belgium
10 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2012 :  12:40:49  Show Profile  Visit Patbad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Regarding the color of the Sebring TR57 #0704 TR wheels, it is very difficult to be sure 100% that they were all the time green at the front and blue at the rear. Patrice De Conto and I did a lot of research for our 1/8th scale 860 Monza, 315S, 335S and LM winner 250TR58 and we came to the conclusion that generally works cars wheels of that period (56, 57 and 58) were painted metallic green or green with the outer part of the rim yellow at the front and light metallic blue at the rear, but sometime they had some of their wheels silver. We questioned some people supposed to know the why of the painted wheels and up to now we did not get a definitive answer. Jacques Swaters told me once that a reason could be that those Borrani wheels were quite expensive for the limited budget that Ferrari disposed at the time. And even more for the customer teams, sometimes these wheels had broken wires and needed to be replaced, so when the wheels were sent to Englebert to have new tyres fitted, the temptation was high to take undamaged wheels "by mistake" instead of their own damaged ones even if the guys at Englebert were probably trying to prevent it. Jacques Swaters thought that this was may be the or one of the reasons Ferrari had painted wheels, to make "the error" more difficult. Now when Ferrari borrowed or had new wheels to replace their damaged ones, they probably did not necessarily had the time to paint them which could explain why they sometimes had silver ones. At Sebring 1958, they had three cars running and if, as the picture Peter posted confirms it, the n°16 car had green and blue wheels, I remember seeing a color picture showing that n°14 had sometime during the race silver wheels at the rear. So I guess Peter is as right as Minerva 43 is. Jacques Swaters also told me, and insisted on that point, that Ferrari as well as private teams such as Ecurie Francorchamps did not have a lot of money to race, so the money went primarily to have the car race ready and the paint was the least of their concern, so the question of the correct red or yellow color for the body or green, blue or silver for the wheels was really in fact a quest to find the cheapest et nearest correct color paint to make the work, especially when out of the factory. Quite different today...
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2012 :  12:55:46  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Patbad

Regarding the color of the Sebring TR57 #0704 TR wheels, it is very difficult to be sure 100% that they were all the time green at the front and blue at the rear. Patrice De Conto and I did a lot of research for our 1/8th scale 860 Monza, 315S, 335S and LM winner 250TR58 and we came to the conclusion that generally works cars wheels of that period (56, 57 and 58) were painted metallic green or green with the outer part of the rim yellow at the front and light metallic blue at the rear, but sometime they had some of their wheels silver. We questioned some people supposed to know the why of the painted wheels and up to now we did not get a definitive answer. Jacques Swaters told me once that a reason could be that those Borrani wheels were quite expensive for the limited budget that Ferrari disposed at the time. And even more for the customer teams, sometimes these wheels had broken wires and needed to be replaced, so when the wheels were sent to Englebert to have new tyres fitted, the temptation was high to take undamaged wheels "by mistake" instead of their own damaged ones even if the guys at Englebert were probably trying to prevent it. Jacques Swaters thought that this was may be the or one of the reasons Ferrari had painted wheels, to make "the error" more difficult. Now when Ferrari borrowed or had new wheels to replace their damaged ones, they probably did not necessarily had the time to paint them which could explain why they sometimes had silver ones. At Sebring 1958, they had three cars running and if, as the picture Peter posted confirms it, the n°16 car had green and blue wheels, I remember seeing a color picture showing that n°14 had sometime during the race silver wheels at the rear. So I guess Peter is as right as Minerva 43 is. Jacques Swaters also told me, and insisted on that point, that Ferrari as well as private teams such as Ecurie Francorchamps did not have a lot of money to race, so the money went primarily to have the car race ready and the paint was the least of their concern, so the question of the correct red or yellow color for the body or green, blue or silver for the wheels was really in fact a quest to find the cheapest et nearest correct color paint to make the work, especially when out of the factory. Quite different today...

Based on what I have seen so far all three entries had the green front and blue rears, I have no clue what happened during the race so I have to go with my "gut" on this one. I am not being overcritical of Fred's version, as a matter of fact I never thought about this until I saw his version and so I decided to look into it further.

A theory I have is the colors were meant to indicate which end the set was for and the direction indicated with a simple arrow on the side wall. They also had 2 ear knock offs on the front and 3 ear on the rears.

Your point about color is what I have come to understand as well...that's why one can't use the term "Ferrari Red" [I have my own formula I have used for nearly 15 years now]... that's a whole different debate!

Edited by - PeterW on 04/27/2012 08:50:34
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  13:11:37  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The kits arrived today so I have sorted out all of the parts and will start to build the first two models. These two will be "box stock" versions. I will make a few minor changes/additions to these including replacing the Ferrari badge on the nose and adding tire decals. My first impression is a comprehensive kit that should be fun to build based on the nicely fitted parts. There is no decal for the headlight covers like the factory built model so these two will be built as night versions. I prefer the car without the masked covers so this was also part of my decision.

When looking closely at the body casting it is clear the panel lines will need to be scribed deeper to allow for paint thickness.

The decal sheet is basic and has no tire decals [which I have added].
The nose badge and steering wheel badge didn't print well so these will be replaced.

Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  19:54:26  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here I have cleaned up the body and attached the resin brake ducts to the nose section.

Once primed I will now fill any imperfections prior to color coat.

Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  16:14:42  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Base color coats are now applied...

The decals are also applied and the wheels painted...

And the base is designed to remind one of the Sebring grid...

Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  14:33:11  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Once the decals have fully dried I make a razor thin cut and press the decal into the panel line with a solvent. I prefer this to simply folding the decal into the joint.

Now the clear coat has been applied...the nose badge will be attached at the end for a more realistic presence. Of course I will do a wet sand to level the finish and a polish to soften the shine.

And just a quick comparison side by side with the Technomodel version, which is quite a bit smaller...I noticed this as soon as I started "Lucybelle II" .

Edited by - PeterW on 05/10/2012 07:56:25
Go to Top of Page

250GTE

Netherlands
295 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  09:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this will be another masterpiece.

I recently did a pencil drawing of this car with the portrait of Peter Collins (picture is pretty lousy...)

Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  11:18:36  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Screws are soldered in place for mounting the model to the display base and then the ride height is set to the chassis as it relates to the body and base. Minor tweaks can be made when the model is set on the base permanently.

Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  11:25:49  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing that wonderful artwork 250GTE!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000