MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Last Two! Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966 Lucien Bianchi/Mario Andretti. Brand New.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 Special MiniWerks Projects (all scales)
 Miniwerks Lotus Super 7 Project
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  08:49:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that the Porsche 911T is finished, my focus has shifted to a 1962 Lotus Super 7 Series 2. Here are a couple of photos taken last weekend of my son's garage where we are storing the Lotus. You will also notice a GT350 Tribute, this car belongs to my son. He is doing a full conversion to GT350-R specification and I might share more details as his project progresses. This made for a fun shot with cars from the US, UK and Germany.

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  09:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We found this Seven just around the corner from our previous home. Our neighbor had started the project many years ago and had all parts sitting in his garage. His wife was anxious to get some garage space back so we made an offer on the car. The chassis had already been restored and new aluminum skins made. It came with a rebuilt Ford Crossflow 1500 bored out to 1700cc. Gearbox and rear end are Ford Cortina. The Cortina rear end is often used because it is stronger for racing. Original wheels, windshield, soft top bows were included. It was like buying a 1:1 model car kit that needs paint and assembly.

Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2015 :  08:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some assembly is started, new brake and clutch masters. Test fitting parts now.
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2015 :  08:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Test fitting front suspension. My son made mock Koni's out of wood. He even wrote "Koni" on the sides. This will allow us to mount wheels and roll it around for other work. These parts will come off later for powder coating.

Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2015 :  08:07:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New rear shocks and springs.
Go to Top of Page

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2015 :  16:08:41  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do we get a rundown on the Mini, too, one day? They've got to be pretty rare in the States...

the.x.man 1:43
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2015 :  17:40:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Mini was purchased restored so I did not have any restoration photos. I sold it last year, lost quite a bit. It was not represented by the seller honestly. It's always best to buy cars that you can actually see in person. I have learned this lesson the hard way too many times. The Porsche 911T and the Lotus Seven were both local cars. I will slowly invest more funds in the 1:1 cars and less in the model cars. If I buy and restore right, this will be a smarter way to go for the future. I will always keep the model cars going but my focus will continue to shift to collector cars. I have all of the resources needed locally to buy and restore if I can find good, solid, "no story" cars. I just have to make sure I don't make another mistake like the Mini!
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2015 :  08:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The original steel wheels are quite boring and very skinny. We opted for Panasports with a set of sticky Avons, should keep this little go-kart firmly planted in the twisties.
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2015 :  08:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Seven gets some interesting "visitors" from time to time.
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2015 :  16:13:46  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So Mike...this will be strictly a track car?

Edited by - PeterW on 03/13/2015 16:25:00
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2015 :  16:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one is registered for street but my son may run it at Thunder Hill racetrack before we sell it. He plans to take his GT350-R there as well. I am not a "track" guy but will enjoy watching.
Go to Top of Page

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2015 :  17:11:36  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... and a Countach!!! I have so got to get myself to California :o)

The "Minilite" style wheels are a must on a 7. For Minis, Mk1 Cortinas and Lotus 7s, they are quite simply the only choice.

the.x.man 1:43
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2015 :  17:23:32  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You need special wheel lugs for those Panasports?
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2015 :  17:54:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They did come with lugs, ordered wheels and tires from a race supplier back east.
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2015 :  17:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jono, you would enjoy California, especially August in Monterey!
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2015 :  07:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next phase is paint and body work. Chassis had to be taped off so only the aluminum skins were exposed for the BRG paint.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000