MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

One Only! Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White. Limited edition #39/80 as shown. Brand new.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 1/43 scale Handbuilt Models
 Model presentation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trossi

232 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  12:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which type of presentation do you prefer? Plastic BBR base, leather bases, wood bases, dioramas...

Who sells good bases in the aftermarket, especially leather bases?

Have you tried to make your own bases from wood etc?

Let me know your thoughts.

christian

Austria
443 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  13:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nothing

Go to Top of Page

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  15:08:53  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I usually prefer leather bases, but too often they push the price of the model up beyond what it is really worth. I also very much like the new stitched alcantara & suede bases that are coming out now. Fred Suber's glass/checkerplate are very cool, too.
The biggest problem though, is when you want to display all your models side by side, all their different size/colour/style bases do not go together. In that aspect, there is something to be said for the standard black plastic bases.

Ioannis had some fancy wooden bases made recently and we had Laurent mount our XK120's on them: Greek Walnut with a green leather insert and a genuine XK120 badge.

Some of the other guys here have created some fantastic bases, too. One of my favorites by Guillaume:

I think this was by Guillaume - but now I suddenly am not sure, so my apologies if I have this mixed up...

43builder

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  15:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think it really matters on what the model is. for example, it is is a more recent sports car, with carbon fiber in the interior and such, i would want it on a carbon fiber base. however, it is is an older car, then wood or leather is more appropriate. for something like a ferrari 348, i would just stick with the standard plastic black base, or leather leather base matching the interior of the car.

Patick Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Trossi

232 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  00:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree that it depends on the car. Shins suede leather bases are also very nice even if they are quite thick. But a fully detailed model with open compartments and maybe an additional engine have more presence than just a crubside model.

Does Guillaume still make leather bases? I remember a recent thread from another member who wanted a leather base for some GTOs.

Go to Top of Page

360driver

Netherlands
454 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  10:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
indeed! That was me! :-)

I am looking for a leather base for (in the future) my BBR GTO Trio: the 250 GTO and 599 GTO I already have, but I am still looking for the 288 GTO (red) by BBR to display them together in my collection....
Go to Top of Page

250GTE

Netherlands
295 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  12:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also like the white plastic bases Laurent sometimes uses. They give a very clean look and put more focus on the actual model.

Go to Top of Page

250GTE

Netherlands
295 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  12:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one is done by Guillaume (bluetribal). I am very much into sets and this one fits the bill. Well, my bill anyway.

Go to Top of Page

LaSource

356 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  06:17:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A while ago this forum informed me about Victoryscaledisplaycase.com (Todd).
In the meanwhile I bought several display cases from Todd.
I would recommend Todds work. Have a look on his webside.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000