MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

One Only! Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White. Limited edition #39/80 as shown. Brand new.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 1/43 scale Handbuilt Models
 process of 917K
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  05:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice!!! Love the dash details... That's going to look amazing. I would have never thought of clearing over windows befor seeing you do it on an earlier build. Now it's something I'll always do when there are decals on the windows. It also works great for removing blemishes from vacuforms. Keep up the great inspiring work.
Go to Top of Page

gdist43

Japan
32 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  04:40:04  Show Profile  Visit gdist43's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I spent time to paint the cockpit part last weekend. Actually I had the wrong idea about the switches on the dash board... they may be push-pull type and I remade them now.

I cast doubt on the correct color of the original seatbelt in the 1970 Le Mans 24hours race in my blog and then got some responses. However, I am increasingly-confused!

Go to Top of Page

rossocorsa

Portugal
346 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  14:07:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hakihiro, I have the same doubt about the seatbelts colour but maybe the red is the right choice,
on this photo from the car today, they are red

on this photo from LM 1970, they appeared to be red

the cockpit looks amazing.
Go to Top of Page

gdist43

Japan
32 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  21:01:24  Show Profile  Visit gdist43's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you rossocorsa for showing a good reference photo of seatbelt in 1970. I will paint it red but I have to correct some inappropriate details of my 917 cockpit before painting.

I added the turn signal lever on the reft-side or the steering column and then removed the under part of the photo-etched belt as the 6 points harness system had not appeared yet in early '70s. The oval hole on the driver's seat was filled with epoxy putty.

I test-fitted the brass mesh which was plated with a solder into the opening of the front radiator.

The windshield wiper and the washer nozzle were test-fitted, too.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to make this number lamp. The aluminum body with 0.1mm thickness base plate may have a good result. I wish I could complete this model until this weekend...

Edited by - gdist43 on 04/24/2011 21:10:14
Go to Top of Page

David

109 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  00:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After many average builds from some European builders, considered as "masterpieces", this is a real stunner. Did you notice that on the real car there was a light on the right hand side? Also have a look at page 143 of this thread of the Duegi forum: http://www.forum-duegieditrice.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11726&start=2130
In the photo I posted it seems quite evident that the seatbelts were red.
Go to Top of Page

gdist43

Japan
32 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  18:15:42  Show Profile  Visit gdist43's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David, thank you very much for posting the reference photo. I will paint the belt red and apply "RePa" logo on shoulders later... today I update wheel and tire part.

After painting thinner-down matt black with a brush, I sprayed dark grey lightly on the wheels.

I test-fitted the wheels with the Fujiya's patterned tires. They looks too bold for the Provence Moulage's body, so I shaved the tread and reduced the diameter of the front tires.

I wanted to replicate a characteristic blue strip on the sidewall of the GoodYear in 1960-70s, anyway. The aluminum jig to fix the tire to my motor tool was necessary...

It was very hard to draw a fine strip even using the jig. After continuing process of trial and error, I've got this first one.

I applied GoodYear decal on the strip, and then attached the brake unit.

Not so bad, is it?

Edited by - gdist43 on 04/27/2011 18:25:05
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  19:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not so bad? I would say unbelievable! And to think this started as a simple Provence Moulage kit. The blue stripe on the tires is amazing, I have never seen this technique and would not believe it if not for your photos. I think you could be a neurosurgeon. :-)
Go to Top of Page

David

109 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  12:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Words fail.
Go to Top of Page

johnvh123

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  12:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have attached link to a print done by artist Tony Cairoli. Size 25" x 19".
http://www.collectorstudio.com/repository/images/artwork/Porsche_917K-TC0010-large.jpg

What an awesome project... First place I look every morning to see if there's an update.
Go to Top of Page

gdist43

Japan
32 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  16:59:34  Show Profile  Visit gdist43's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wish I could think of something to reply for your compliments... but just say thank you. The beginning of today's update is the seatbelts.

I fully remade them with 1.2mm width nickel silver strips. The square buckle looks more classical than the previous one, however, I'm not sure it was true in the real car in 1970.

I twisted 0.2mm brass line around an axis of 1.4mm drill and chopped it to make small rings as the funnel edge.

I painted them with light brown and then added fuel hoses. They are actually styrene, made by heat-extending with a junk sprue of some plastic-model kit... no need for painting, very easy to bent and fix on the base plate with Tamiya cement.

I test-fitted the funnel unit to the body. Hard to recognize in this image but you will be able to see something through these oval holes with the naked eye.

The rear window was made with 0.1mm PVC sheet. Never forget to add the rear view mirror which consist of two-ply nickel silver strips.
Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  18:19:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

LaSource

356 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  00:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is such a pleasure to follow your build process.
Go to Top of Page

pierotecchio63

Italy
39 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  06:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mindblowing!
Go to Top of Page

gdist43

Japan
32 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  08:25:43  Show Profile  Visit gdist43's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's about time to finish the 917 interior and I just fixed the tires today... it leaves a few work behind.

I made an extinguisher with 2.0mm brass line. Both belts were made with 0.3mm nickel silver strip.

I painted the extinguisher red and applied some junk decal. The small ignition units were combination of Tameo's photo-etched parts and brass pieces.

I glued them on the bulkhead and added some cords. The tight-fit windshield brought some problems around the dashboard. I spent much time to adjust it.

Finally I closed the body and ready to set the tires. The alignment of the sub-frames must be important for this model, so I used a block of sticky as a jig with gluing.

Looks better to displace the axis of the rear tire slightly back if you have an opportunity to build this kit.
Go to Top of Page

pierotecchio63

Italy
39 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  04:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful as usual!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000