MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Last Two! Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966 Lucien Bianchi/Mario Andretti. Brand New.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 Self-built Models
 WIP Porsche 550 1953 Panamericana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  18:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The BBR tail lights in the kit have the 2 lights as 1 part. I cut those in 2, soldered a brass rod to each of those then shaped and polished tinted acrylic lenses.

Fitted the windscreen... These rivets have screw heads if you look close.

think small
Go to Top of Page

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  23:45:53  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The mind boggles, Joe, honestly! Every time I think you could not possibly step your game up another notch - you do!

ModelJunkie

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  08:44:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently purchased a Bosica 356 4-cam engine built by Joe that Mike had on his website. I had wanted one for a long time and was delighted when I opened the box. People (my non-collector friends and family) that see it are simply amazed. I am too. Cant wait to see this one finished.
Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  14:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks X-Man!!! Thats one of my goals is to try to better my previous builds.

Junkie, I'm glad you like that motor. There were'nt many kit's with that motor sold and are hard to come by. I was tempeted to buy it back and drop it in a Spyder:)

here are a few pics of that motor:

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x37/914joe/Carrera%20motor/

think small
Go to Top of Page

jaaz47

Germany
125 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  21:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but plesase:

use correct ignition cables.

these are much to thick!

jaaz47

Go to Top of Page

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  22:21:42  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe it has a high energy ignition system :o)

F1tommy

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  08:33:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 550 looks fantastic!! Considering the fact that it started as a BBR/Project 43 makes this even more amazing.

By the way, we will try to have the Ferrari Expo the same weekend as the new 1/43rd show in Chicago for it's second year(Ferrari Expo Saturday and 43rd show Sunday) I went to it this year and thought it reminded very much of the old Strictly 43rd show, although with more built ups. Some amazing models were on display including Mikhail's models from B&G, the very fine 1/43rd company from Russia. Also several English companies came. I am starting work on a few Pan Am 550's in a larger scale for next years Ferrari Expo. I want to also print decals for these open Porsche 550's since they have never been done properly in 1/24th scale. Maybe another 1/43rd Pan Am sheet also.

Here is the company that organized the 1/43rd show:

http://store.route66modelcarstore.com/

I plan on having a table at both shows in 2013.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2013-Chicago March 2013
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  11:13:54  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaaz47

but plesase:

these are much to thick!

jaaz47

Looks OK to me.
Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  10:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeterW

quote:
Originally posted by jaaz47

but plesase:

these are much to thick!

jaaz47

Looks OK to me.

Thanks Peter!!! I was happy with those wires too... It's funny because I have gotten grief in the past for using colored(high energy:) wires but not on the size. Maybe jaaz did'nt notice it's a twin plug motor with twice the wires. If these wires were measured they would be big in scale but I like how they look. Either way I'm glad you guys are watching and all comments are appricated.

I made up some fuel pumps. This small parts hardly gets seen and was a pain making. There are 11 parts in these so far...I still need to make another fuel rail and add some rivets to the tops making 13 parts not counting the lines. That nickel tubing the pumps are sitting on is what I'll use for the fuel lines.

think small
Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2012 :  18:49:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally started getting the body parts primered.

think small
Go to Top of Page

F1tommy

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2012 :  08:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work. It's amazing this is 1/43rd. The only thing are the bolts on the plates are a little large. I think they also used wire to hold them on after drilling 8 small holes in the plate.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2013-Chicago March 2013
Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  18:33:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The only thing are the bolts on the plates are a little large.

Yea... I know. I've been trying to use these rivets on something but they are a little big. I've got smaller ones I'll use.

I've got my body parts ready to paint and hope to get on that tommrow night. I did a little experiment on some color change on part of one of the decals. The spark on the bosch decal is red when it appears blue on the restored car. After a little practice I found a rhythm and pretty sure I can pull it off cleanly.

think small
Go to Top of Page

F1tommy

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  20:04:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks amazing. Those Bosica 550 wheels are getting hard to find.
Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  16:08:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tommy, I'm pretty sure that Bosica 356 wheels are still available thru Sprint43. If you can't get them there I've got a good stash.

Managed to paint the body this weekend. Now I'm looking forward to decaling and I'm struggling on what clear I'm going to use. I usually use urethane clear and like the look and protective qualities but the finish is not perfect from a historical view. I need to do some experimenting.

I also started working on the wheels. I spent alot of time to make these a little nicer.

think small
Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  18:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got all the panels mounted and everything is lining up good so far. Decals next...

Getting the pins in the front hood is an excersize in patience. I try and do this as little as possible:)

think small
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000