MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Last Two! Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966 Lucien Bianchi/Mario Andretti. Brand New.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 Self-built Models
 WIP Porsche 550 1953 Panamericana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  18:20:40  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 914joe

Managed to paint the body this weekend. Now I'm looking forward to decaling and I'm struggling on what clear I'm going to use. I usually use urethane clear and like the look and protective qualities but the finish is not perfect from a historical view. I need to do some experimenting.

think small

Why not decal over the paint with no clear finish? Do a thin [barrier] clear and wet sand and polish to a light sheen and then apply the decals. Give them plenty of time to dry and then wax the model. I had seen this done many, many years ago and it was pretty convincing.

Edited by - PeterW on 05/16/2012 18:21:11
Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  18:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/quote]

Why not decal over the paint with no clear finish? Do a thin [barrier] clear and wet sand and polish to a light sheen and then apply the decals. Give them plenty of time to dry and then wax the model. I had seen this done many, many years ago and it was pretty convincing.
[/quote]

I actually like how the paint looks now with no clear. This car was the first to test the 4 cam motor but they switched to the pushrod motor befor Mexico. I thought about doing that version with no clear and hand painted numbers. The problem I have with using these decals without a clear is the transparent area of the decals around the letters. I want some clear to blend those areas.

think small

Edited by - 914joe on 05/16/2012 18:40:41
Go to Top of Page

F1tommy

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  06:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The paint finish looks great. Unless the decals are super thin I would always clearcoat it or they will look cardboard thick to scale. Those old BBR decals are not that thin. The Starter Callgraphe decals were very thin although that causes other problems.
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  09:28:19  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by F1tommy

The paint finish looks great. Unless the decals are super thin I would always clearcoat it or they will look cardboard thick to scale. Those old BBR decals are not that thin. The Starter Callgraphe decals were very thin although that causes other problems.

Understood...but a simple clearcoat is not enough IMO. Wet sanding is essential to level the finish and give it a more realistic appearance.
In the case of a urethane I use a 1000 to level the clear followed by a 4000, 8000 and finally a 12000 grit. Then a good polish to remove any traces of sanding.
Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  18:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Decaled and needing the rain to stop so I can clear. I did some practice on the tire scripts using a photoetch stencil.

think small
Go to Top of Page

F1tommy

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2012 :  09:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks perfect again. You must have taken those tires off a diecast??

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2013-Chicago March 2013
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  16:03:28  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those decals look pretty good to me...I don't see much of a thickness issue. What kind of clear are you going to use?

BTW...nice work getting those panels to fit.
Go to Top of Page

F1tommy

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  07:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The decals do look very nice and thin.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2013-Chicago March 2013

http://gpma.org/blog/?page_id=2441
Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  19:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tommy, I think BBR decals lay down nice... Not completly accurate but not thick. Those tires are Bosica's.

quote:
Originally posted by PeterW

What kind of clear are you going to use?

BTW...nice work getting those panels to fit.

Thanks!!! Tight panel fit + paint & clear = a pain:) There are areas in the door jambs that I've needed to remove the paint between coats to make fit. I'm probally going to use Glasurit clear. It's what I'm familiar with and I like the protective qualites of the hard finish.

think small
Go to Top of Page

mhoutman

Netherlands
8 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  06:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, my respect ! :)
Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  18:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^^^Thanks for looking! Have'nt had any time to build in weeks:( Here's a few pics I have'nt posted yet. I've build the front wheels and I cleared the body with Tamiya clear.

think small
Go to Top of Page

F1tommy

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2012 :  07:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it's official. Ferrari Expo 2013 will be held on March 23rd 2013, the same weekend as the 1/43rd model show(Strictly 43rd people) wich is held on the 24th. The Ferrari Expo Model/art/literature show has been running every year since 1979. It started at the Como Inn and is now held at Continental Autosport Ferrari Maserati.

The model contest is on it's 8th year and will be as big as ever. We will have modelers from as far away as Mexico City and from all over the USA. We might even have one from Japan in 2013.

Hope you can make this very fun event. Come see some fine art and fine models along with some real real vintage Ferrari's and sportscars.

Joe, I hope you bring this very fine Porsche 550!!

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2013-Chicago March 23rd 2013

Edited by - F1tommy on 12/22/2012 07:23:30
Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2012 :  17:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job at scheduling the 2 shows close together!!! The next best thing would be to combine them. I'd love to both finish this model and make the show but I don't know??? Damm kids are time consuming and expensive... I'm happy they're cute and fun too:)

I still need to get a few of your decal sheets if they are still available. btw... here's a couple pics I've never seen of the Lopez 550 & 356:

http://emcpb.blogspot.com/2011/07/carrera-photos-from-tomas-lopez-rocha.html

think small
Go to Top of Page

F1tommy

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2012 :  06:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Joe,

Stephen Mitchell is still working on his Pan Am book and more Pan Am videos. I think he will do it justice!!

I think you will enjoy both shows. Alot of European 1/43rd model builders are coming in for the new 1/43rd show including a few top Russian companies. And Ferrari Expo is like a classic exotic car show with books and models mixed in. Your 550 would make my day!!

I am still selling the Pan Am 356 decals like crazy on ebay. No retailers would buy them outside of North America so now I sell direct, mostly to Europe and Japan by the truckload!!! I only had Cartograf print 300 and they are going fast. No reprints will be done. Next Pan Am decal project already in the works along with another 1/24th scale resin kit.

By the way, I will have tables at both the Ferrari Expo and Route66 1/43rd show. If you want to display your models at the 1/43rd show your more than welcome to use my table.

best,

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2013-Chicago March 23rd 2013
Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2012 :  18:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After more than 6 months I dusted off the bench. I assembled the rear wheels and did a quick dry fit of the rear end. Nice to see it fits after painting.

I also have a display idea I'm planning on and made a few practice picture frames.

think small
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000