MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

One Only! Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White. Limited edition #39/80 as shown. Brand new.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 1/43 scale Handbuilt Models
 Ferrari 330 Le Mans RHD version
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  15:43:26  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have started a new project based on the AMR white metal kit. A number of body modifications will be done and it will be changed from the LHD as the kit was made to the RHD as seen here. All four are spoken for and will be built as the Le Mans car.

I will show the build process here in this thread so check back often.

Here is some nice photography.

http://adamsviewsimaging.blogspot.com/

And some variations.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z1294/Ferrari-330-LeMans.aspx

Edited by - PeterW on 05/07/2012 10:38:11

glengorse

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  01:16:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Nice project Peter... this is #4724SA the 330LMB of Maranello Concessionaires that finished 5th in the '63 Le Mans driven by Mike Salmon & Jack Sears. You refer to it as 'Pebble Beach' but will you build it as the Le Mans car?.

AMR did build a right hand drive version... I have a kit.

Watch this one with great interest.
Go to Top of Page

glengorse

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  04:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Peter,

This is a nice project as there were only ever 4 330LMB's built and only one in right hand drive form - your 'Pebble Beach' one.

Historically 4619SA was the first car ever to reach 300kph (approx 186 mph)at Le Mans.

As previously stated 4725SA ( your Pebble Beach car) finished 5th overall in the '63 Le Mans...

Photo for you of 2 x LMB's at Goodwood in 2004 - 330GAA is still very active in Historic Racing..

Go to Top of Page

250GTE

Netherlands
295 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  07:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice! If you only built a little slower so I had time to save up! :-D
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  14:54:18  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 250GTE

Nice! If you only built a little slower so I had time to save up! :-D

Now that's a first!
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  08:28:17  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here we have all three kits being prepped for modifications. The car on the far left is the early AMR Nostalgia Tre and the other two on the right are AMR kit 54. These two will be modified to the RHD car. Other changes are also planned for all three such as the "D" flaps and hood latch locations. The rear vents will be re-shaped and opened. The rocker line was actually a "fold" so it will be corrected. The early kit will also have it's side window configurations replicated in photo etch [original from a kit 54]

Edited by - PeterW on 04/19/2012 08:29:33
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2012 :  09:57:24  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As I move forward with the body modifications a resin copy of the rear spoiler is made from the early kit and grafted onto the later kit.

And all three interiors are now RHD...

The dash switches are sanded off, then pre-drilled to receive the 0.4 mm brass button heads. The cast in place switches are much too crude.
The top three are lights, the bottom five are switch knobs and an ignition slot.
No decal is provided for the dash gauges so they are sanded off and Le Phoenix gauges will be used.

The rear deck is revised to the later issue, the right hand example is the early kit.

A hex nut is soldered to the base to facilitate the mounting screws. The joint doesn't have to be pretty, just make sure it is very strong. A combination of washers and nylon shims will be used to set the ride height.

Edited by - PeterW on 04/24/2012 16:34:35
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2012 :  16:30:18  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here I have thinned out the body at the front and rear vents. This was especially delicate work on the rear vents which are angled inward.
These were cast solid so I opened up the forward ends. The front vents are a bit too rounded at the top so these will be refined to a more rectangular appearance.

The nose details are now corrected with special attention to the size of the D flap for the radiator. This was much too small on the original casting.

Edited by - PeterW on 04/24/2012 16:31:46
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2012 :  11:41:59  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here I have decided to make a change and work with the white metal parts from the kit. By thinning the back I am able to achieve a desired thickness, or thinness so the part looks more to scale. The white metal is also more malleable then a brass replica so it will fit the profile of the rear quarter panel much better. I will paint this part off of the body to make the paint polishing better. It was not molded onto the body on the original car so I don't want paint to smooth the joint over.

The rear end has a metal lip along the bottom which is replicated with brass sheet.

The first primers are applied. Further refinements will be made at this stage prior to the color coat.

Edited by - PeterW on 04/27/2012 15:20:39
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  12:32:59  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Refinements continue on the body…the rocker section is scribed and somewhat “flattened” to the profile of the real car. Of course further refinement of those rough edges will be made.

Edited by - PeterW on 04/30/2012 12:41:07
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  21:23:10  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here I have sketched out my concept for the Le Mans display base.

Edited by - PeterW on 05/19/2012 07:16:53
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  08:11:43  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some more details that are to be incorporated for this run. Note the front numbers are attached to the car with no black plate, the wheels are clearly tinted blue and some of the finer details are pointed out that will appear on these models.

Pretty amazing how far off the restored car is...and I am sure they paid a fortune on the restoration. It appears to me that model makers spend more time on research then they do!

The revised decals on the nose and left upper fender [wing].

Thanks Juan!

Edited by - PeterW on 05/15/2012 10:40:03
Go to Top of Page

dark star

Spain
413 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  16:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a joy for me, Peter.
Well done !.

jerry

Edited by - dark star on 05/16/2012 16:16:04
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  11:03:04  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The first three bodies are wet sanded/polished and now ready for detailing.

The interior components are painted and ready for final detailing and assembly.

Edited by - PeterW on 05/19/2012 11:03:46
Go to Top of Page

jbc

France
7 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  06:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
excellent work on a great subject. I have a question, are you sure the seats are blue? Many years ago l built a model (the same kit) for one of the drivers. He supplied some photo,s and quite a bit of detail.The seats appeared Black, the other cars enterd seemed to have brown seats.
This car has of course been restored twice to my knowledge,so things can be changed!
He also said about the Green ID light on the roof the rear splash guards and the single wiper blade(Black).
Hope this helps .....although it may not!
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  08:51:55  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbc

Hi
excellent work on a great subject. I have a question, are you sure the seats are blue? Many years ago l built a model (the same kit) for one of the drivers. He supplied some photo,s and quite a bit of detail.The seats appeared Black, the other cars enterd seemed to have brown seats.
This car has of course been restored twice to my knowledge,so things can be changed!
He also said about the Green ID light on the roof the rear splash guards and the single wiper blade(Black).
Hope this helps .....although it may not!

Great question and I also had the same concern. They are blue on the restored version but the AMR instructions call for all black [entire interior]Based on AMR history I can't assume they got it totally correct. It is hard to make a definitive call on this one so I went for blue seats like the restored car and for some contrast [a little artistic licence]. I am sure others will chime in and if it becomes clear that they are indeed black I have some time to change them back. For now they remain blue.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000