MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White

One Only! Lexus LFA Tokyo Motor Show 2009 Whitest White. Limited edition #39/80 as shown. Brand new.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 1/43 scale Handbuilt Models
 Ferrari 330 Le Mans RHD version
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  15:46:06  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Window frames are trimmed out in silver and the interiors of the bodies are detailed in black. Headlight buckets are detailed and wind deflector support is mounted to the hood... a folded and riveted pe part from a GTO detail sheet. Rear flaps are installed at this stage and reinforced with a clear adhesive from behind.

Go to Top of Page

jbc

France
7 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  08:18:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you attitude is correct ,people can get "hung up" on small details. I do intend to build one for myself in the near future so l will watch with interest. I would also like to know where you will source the P/E for the side windows. I will try to get in touch with a couple of friends who have original pictures of the car at Le Mans. If I have any news l will post it on the forum.
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  08:26:50  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbc

I think you attitude is correct ,people can get "hung up" on small details. I do intend to build one for myself in the near future so l will watch with interest. I would also like to know where you will source the P/E for the side windows. I will try to get in touch with a couple of friends who have original pictures of the car at Le Mans. If I have any news l will post it on the forum.

The side windows are the pe from the AMR 54 kit, these are converted from that kit. I added the spoiler and modified these to RHD [the kit is LHD]. I also sourced original decals and made some of my own.

And I appreciate your comment on getting hung up on small details but some cannot accept anything else but absolute perfection [which is not even humanly possible]. I can be disconcerting at times.

Edited by - PeterW on 05/21/2012 08:27:30
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  11:22:38  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The steering wheel is replaced with a pe part and the column is scratch built from aluminum and brass. The switches for the dash are aluminum ad brass parts.

The interior is then fully assembled.

And let's not forget the all important rear view mirror!

On to the exhaust system. The white metal stubs are removed and replaced with counter set brass wire to hold the exhaust tips in place better.

Edited by - PeterW on 05/21/2012 13:50:28
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  09:46:11  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All of the models are now in the dry fit process prior to the final assembly. Many little "tweaks" are done at this stage. Wheel setting, ride height, interior and chassis plate adjustments.

Once I am happy with them they are attached to a temp. base and detailed. The side glass [pre-assembled with glass] will be installed at this stage.

The side glass photo etch is a poor fit so it has been modified to fit better. You can see the lower portion of the frame has been removed in order to fit the height correctly. The lower sections will be applied once the main glass section has set in place on the model.

Edited by - PeterW on 05/22/2012 15:47:07
Go to Top of Page

Blanchimont

Belgium
85 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  22:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well done Peter.
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2012 :  18:39:09  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks...but I'm just getting to the good part ;)

The best approach to this problem was to step back and take a long breath. Installing the glass with my "traditional" method would not work in this case. Normally , as a pre assembled unit the glass would drop in place with no worries but in this case it was a revised kit and the pe part just did not fit exactly. So...the best solution was to install the glass from the inside and attache the frame from the outside. In this case the pe needed to be re shaped with a file and test fitted until perfect. Each body [of 3] is slightly different so each one will need special attention. In addition the left side rear quarter window was split in half to allow the rear portion to open as a "door" to access the oil sump pipe. I have added this detail [also missed on both kits]. The bit of pe under the center window is eliminated because it does not exist on the real car.

One note on the photo...the bottom section of the rear quarter window is only a "dry fit" and the photo reflects the work in progress. It requires further refinement.

Edited by - PeterW on 05/23/2012 18:47:33
Go to Top of Page

dark star

Spain
413 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  13:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love it, Peter.
Very well done.
Where you have obtained the photogravures of the side windows?

jerry
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  15:37:37  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dark star

I love it, Peter.
Very well done.
Where you have obtained the photogravures of the side windows?

jerry

I converted 2 of the models from 3 AMR 54 kits and that is where they came from. Honestly, kit "54" [330 LM LHD] leaves a lot to be desired.
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  15:55:14  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will be stepping away from the forum for a few days as I organize my new work space. My wife and I are moving 50 miles south to a smaller house but I have rights to certain spaces ;)

See you all early next week.

Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  11:39:37  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After a few long weeks of moving and organizing my new shop I am finally back up and running again. I still have to set up my paint booth but I have plenty to assemble in the meantime. I have also upgraded to a Taig lathe with simple milling capabilities so I hope to be "turning out" more and more parts. Once I am comfortable with the new setup I hope to add a dedicated mill...expanding my scope of work even more.

The 330 LMB models are in the home stretch now. A few final details and refinements are to be made but here are some teaser photos. And yes...the rear registration plate is missing. This will be installed next.

Edited by - PeterW on 06/07/2012 11:40:54
Go to Top of Page

gege

France
128 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  13:13:52  Show Profile  Visit gege's Homepage  Reply with Quote
impressive job Peter, superb
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  19:16:49  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The new work space is up and running...along with the new Taig lathe. A versatile machine that's also a workhorse...just look at that motor! Machining large stock is a breeze....and the milling attachments will come in handy. The paint room is in a separate room outside. No more paint dust to contend with.

Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  16:49:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sooo jealous of that clean work area. Where's the pile of AMR grindings??:)

think small
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  19:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Peter, that was a fast setup!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000